Tag: piping

Following on from my piping post a few days ago I have become rather excited by the prospect of pillow covers (I will get out more, I promise).

 

 

So here is one I made last night – in pictures – from start to end:

DSC_0015
Piping = cord and bias tape
DSC_0018as
End of the line – make sure you have cord hanging out!
DSC_0020hjjk
Sewing the hems on the back panels – trying to be as neat as possible!
DSC_0022
This is how it looks from the back
DSC_0024
Those pesky corners – ended up taking needles out and sewing freestyle – not the best way to approach piping!
DSC_0025
Attaching the home made piping to the cotton canvas material
DSC_0029
Messy sewing! Going around a few times to ensure tight fitting pipes. Loving my freebee clover clips
DSC_0034
Turning it in the right way to check it has produced well. Not too shabby
DSC_0039
The final pillow! Love love it!

So that is my latest project – show me yours! Have you recently tried piping? How did it turn out? Are you tempted to try? Do you like to go out of your comfort zone? I do and I don’t!

Piping

I have been keen to acquire new sewing skills recently so I have been following some on-line tutorials. One thing I have always wanted to do was make piping but it looked really difficult. So when Melanie Ham published this tutorial on Youtube and made it look simple I had to give it a go.

I bought some fabric for the occasion but before I used that I wanted to do a dry run with some of my stash (always a good idea!). Here is what I used to make a cushion cover with piping.

  • Quilting fabric (20×20 inches, 20×14 (x2))
  • Co-ordinating thread
  • Piping cord
  • Pre-cut bias tape

I won’t go into a step-by-step as Melanie already does that very well on the link above; suffice it to say it was so simple!

When I was making the piping out of cord and bias tape it really fed itself through, I didn’t even need to use pins. I was dreading attaching it to the fabric as I knew if I went wrong it would be here but it was plain sailing. It went on like a dream. I did put a second row of stitches over the first row when putting the back covers on top just to ensure the piping would look as good as possible but other than that I didn’t do anything different to Melanie.

Here is the finished item:

DSC_0005

DSC_0008

DSC_0013

Copyright © Penguin and Pear 2017